We have worked with a number of parents and teachers over the years who have expressed frustration with trying to find books for young children that celebrate diverse cultures.
It is very important that young children see themselves reflected in the literature we expose them to as the begin developing their early reading skills.
Here are a couple of the books that we love that serve as examples of wonderful books that draw inspiration from the many cultures of Western Africa.
1. BEAUTY AND THE BEAST (MALI)
2. BOUNDLESS GRACE (GAMBIA)
3. CREATION-MY FATHER LOVES ME (GHANA)
4. HERE COMES OUR BRIDE AN AFRICAN WEDDING STORY (NIGERIA)
5. MANSA MUSA: THE LION OF MALI (MALI)
6. MY AFRICA VACATION (NIGERIA)
7. ONE PLASTIC BAG: ISATOU CEESAY AND THE RECYCLING WOMEN OF THE GAMBIA (GAMBIA)
8. SUNDIATA: LION KING OF MALISUNDIATA: LION KING OF MALI (MALI)
9. THE BIG CEREMONY (NIGERIA)
10. TOO MUCH TALK (GHANA)
Visit www.AskDrMarta.com for more information on our products and services.
4 Comments Add yours
Thank you for sharing this amazing resource. I look forward to reading more of your blog.
Thank you for sharing books that will help my little girlthink and dream beyond our home state of Mississippi . This will help me complete her Christmas list .
I’m a new grad parent this list is wonderful. I only had a few choices for my children. I plan to purchase some of your recommendations.