We have worked with a number of parents and teachers over the years who have expressed frustration with trying to find books for young children that celebrate diverse cultures.
It is very important that young children see themselves reflected in the literature we expose them to as the begin developing their early reading skills.
Here are a couple of the books that we love that serve as examples of wonderful books that draw inspiration from the many cultures of Western Africa.
1. BEAUTY AND THE BEAST (MALI)
2. BOUNDLESS GRACE (GAMBIA)
3. CREATION-MY FATHER LOVES ME (GHANA)
4. HERE COMES OUR BRIDE AN AFRICAN WEDDING STORY (NIGERIA)
5. MANSA MUSA: THE LION OF MALI (MALI)
6. MY AFRICA VACATION (NIGERIA)
9. THE BIG CEREMONY (NIGERIA)
10. TOO MUCH TALK (GHANA)
Visit www.AskDrMarta.com for more information on our products and services.