INTRO | BIO | PRESS PHOTOS | PUBLIC SPEAKING SERVICES | THE COMPANY | AWARDS | LINKS
Marta Collier Educational Systems and Services (MCESS), LLC
Marta Collier-Youngblood, Chief Operations Officer
Hey there, I’m Dr. Marta D. Collier, the CEO of Marta Collier Educational Systems and Services, LLC. A retired school teacher and college professor of over 40 years, I currently provide educational consultant services to parents and early childhood educators who are committed to helping their students succeed in school.
Based in Atlanta, Georgia, I am available nationwide for on-site and remote one-on-one and group consultations, teacher professional development workshops and public speaking engagements.
Throughout my career, I launched and provided leadership expertise to a number of initiatives including, but not limited to:
- School Readiness Institute Atlanta – a year-round service that provides parents and early childhood educators with engaging and project based strategies to boost confidence, creativity, critical thinking and a love for learning. Participation is determined by application on an annual basis and seats are limited.
- Teach for Arkansas – a collaborative effort to provide a pathway for working professionals in the Arkansas Delta to become certified teachers while still working full time to support their families. Teach for Arkansas gained national recognition as an example of innovative use of distance education to meet the need for teachers and successful public-private partnership between higher education and private foundation partners (Wal-Mart Foundation and Southwestern Bell Foundation).
- Marshallese Home Learning Literacy Project – a community-based, collaboration that engaged Marshallese mothers to work with their children and encourage them to learn about their culture while working on their reading, writing, listening, and vocabulary skills.
- VICTER Power Box – a statewide teacher professional development program funded by that National Science Foundation that focused on improving literacy and workforce skills of middle and high school students. Classroom resource kits were developed in collaboration with science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) teachers and deployed throughout the Arkansas STEM Center network.
- SMART Play My Way – a weekly series of interactive classes hosted at the Fayetteville Public Library (Arkansas) for parents of children ages 0-4 years old that helped parents enhance their skills in supporting the physical, cognitive and social-emotional development of their children through play.
- Early Literacy @ Play – a collaboration with W.E. Music Time Studio providing hands-on, informal learning opportunities for students in Winston-Salem, North Carolina.
Public Speaking Services
I am available to speak at public and private venues on topics related to: (1) Children’s Literature; (2) Teacher Professional Development; (3) Early Literacy/Early Childhood Education; (4) The Importance of Play; (5) Diversity and Inclusion in Early Childhood Education. My speaking fee ranges between $2,500 – $15,000 per engagement. Please email info@AskDrMarta.com “Subject Line: Speaker Request” to discuss booking availability. My past speaking engagements include the Southern Conference on Children, Georgia Department of Education 21st Century Community Learning Center Region 3 Meeting, Great Expectations of Arkansas Summer Institute, Teach for American Regional Training Conference-Arkansas, the Northwest Arkansas Martin Luther King Celebration and the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC) Annual Meeting.
Marta Collier Educational Systems and Services, LLC (The Company)
Combining lessons learned over a 40-year career in early childhood education, Marta Collier Educational Systems and Services (MCESS), LLC is the brain child of Dr. Marta D. Collier and serves as a dynamic and interactive resource for parents and early childhood educators who are committed to the success of their children. Grounded in the philosophy that play is essential in the development of early learners, MCESS provides seminars, webinars, workshops, coaching, training, curriculum and resources to support school readiness and excellence in young learners. Serving both the formal and informal learning sectors, MCESS delivers standards-aligned, project-based learning solutions serving students Pre-K through 3rd grade that are adaptable to public, private and home school learning communities. Our mission is to help unlock the genius in every child. To learn more or schedule an appointment visit www.martacollier.com.
Dr. Marta D. Collier attended Chatham County Public Schools during the storied period of school integration. Born two years before the Brown vs. Board of Education, school integration did not catch up with her until her senior year of high school in Savannah, Georgia, an event that would stoke her passion for making a positive contribution to public education throughout her life.
Dr. Collier went on to study education at Earlham College in Richmond, Indiana, the first of her family to leave Georgia for post-secondary education. It was during period when she met her future husband, Willyerd R. Collier, Sr., during a student conference where he was representing Wabash College.
Following their marriage, Dr. Collier continued her educational training at the University of Iowa where she completed her masters degree in 1976 and went on to teach in Indiana, Georgia and Iowa before completing her PhD in Elementary Education with special emphasis in early childhood education from the University of Iowa in 1997.
Never one to back down from a challenge, Dr. Collier pursued the tenure-track at the University of Arkansas (Fayetteville) rising to the rank of Associate Professor of Education through her teaching, research and service. In addition to her local efforts, Dr. Collier also served on editorial review boards, provided leadership to statewide and national level initiatives, fostered inter-disciplinary collaborations and shepherded countless students through the completion of their educational studies.
After serving two years at Wabash College as Special Assistant to the Dean of Student Life, she and her husband retired to Atlanta, Georgia, and launched into the next great adventure of their lives, Marta Collier Educational Systems and Services, LLC. MCESS provides products and services to parents and early childhood educators who are committed to the success of their children.
Dr. Collier was born on September 13, 1952. She married Willyerd R. Collier, Sr. on August 24, 1974. They currently live in Atlanta, Georgia and have two children, Marta Collier-Youngblood and Willyerd R. Collier, Jr. They are also the parents-in-love of Terrance D. Youngblood and Jessica Collier (Nyberg) and the proud grandparents of Elias and Eva Mae.
Awards and Special Recognitions
Phi Delta Kappa, Wyatt Weems Memorial Service Award, Friend of Springdale Public Schools Award